Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bringing Work Home on Weekends

I recently met a man who had grown up in Germany, come to the US for school and work, then returned to Germany for work. He was the son of American parents who worked on one of the US military bases in Germany. We got to talking about work habits and he spoke at length about the vast difference in attitude towards work between Germany and the US. We are much more industrious than they are. That's both good and bad, so I'm not passing judgment here, just reporting on a conversation.

I used to think that I rarely brought work home. In fact, as I was writing this post, I was going to say so. As I think about it, I bring home a great deal of work. My explorations in marketing this blog have been applied to my job and vice versa. Perhaps it has not been so much bringing work home as it has been a blurring of the lines between work and home.

The reason I bring this up is that because I am changing jobs in a few weeks, I need to bring a few things to closure before I leave my current position. That means I need to work at home this weekend and not in the abstract sense. How often do you do that? If you blog, do you consider your blog to be a partial extension of your job? Is part of the reason you blog to make money and is it a second vocation?

I'd really like to know.

No comments: