Thursday, May 31, 2007

Short Term Self-Assessment

Lots of people say, "If only I knew then what I know now!" in reference to some mistake or mistakes they made in their lives years ago. A career choice, a decision to drop out of school, the picking up of a bad habit or the like. I have a different suggestion along the same vein.

Go back in time 6 months and ask yourself what you wish you had done differently. Chances are that external circumstances will not have changed dramatically, but you should be able to plot out the way things would have gone with different choices. I would bet that it gives you actionable analysis that decade-old regrets do not.

6 comments:

Foxfier said...

It's silly, but... I'd have started drinking whiskey and coke rather than rum and coke.

Other than that, I have nothing to change-- getting engaged will do that to you. ;^)

Foxfier said...

Bah, I meant to say "gettin engaged to the most wonderful, understanding, giving man on all of the earth". There, I've got two things.

K T Cat said...

Foxfier, you always make me smile.

Foxfier said...

*bows* Always a pleasure. ;^)

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. In the past six months I have moved and made some other big decisions.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's very true. I often find it's tempting to regret decisions we make, but when they're made using our best knowledge at the time, and when thinking such a decision is actually the best thing for us at that moment, there's nothing that one could realistically have otherwise done. So there's no point regretting!

We live and learn - the beauty of life.