Friday, July 06, 2007

The Fourth of July is the Worst Holiday of All

This isn't intended as a rant, but as an observation. Two days ago, I stood on my balcony overlooking Mission Bay to see if I could see any of the fireworks displays for the fourth. When it's clear on the fourth, I can see about seven of them. This time it was overcast. The most I could see were the lower hemispheres of the explosions. It was kind of cool at the beginning, but for the most part it was just disappointing.

Meanwhile, the air was filled with the sounds of police, fire and ambulance sirens. The radio had been broadcasting all day about the traffic jams of people heading to the beach and how all the parking lots were filled by 10AM.

Traffic jams, muffled explosions, overtime for our emergency personnel, self-inflicted injuries and inaccessible beaches. This is how we celebrate independence?

1 comment:

Justin said...

No. I slept late and relaxed all day. I don't think I even left the house.