Monday, November 12, 2007

Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty: Onslaught

Thanks to Rose, I found this video.

My kids go to Catholic schools, one to an all-boys high school (that would be the boy in case you're wondering) and one to a grade school. Dress codes are strongly enforced and the parents are very involved in the kids' lives, particularly in a moral sense. As such, the high school girls from the local all-girls Catholic school are not dressed like skanks in the same way as most of the girls at our local public school.

Despite the fact that the boys and girls go to different schools, there is a large number of the girls who make their way over to the boys' school every afternoon to socialize. If I was my son, I would be falling in love 23 times a day. (Before you start wondering, rest assured that much younger women don't interest me. At all.) In any case, those girls are absolutely drop dead gorgeous. They're not statistical anomalies and the school doesn't pick for beauty, they're just a whole lot of cuties. Maybe it's a reflection of their parents' love. Who knows.

My point is that for my taste, these "beauty" campaigns are anything but that. These girls don't need push-up bras and short skirts, they just need to smile and the guys are goners.

Flirting is a howitzer. A WonderBra is a pop gun.

I'm so glad that Dove is doing this that I'm going to blogroll their link. You can find it on the right hand side under "Friends."

Update: Pete's View argues that Dove's parent company, Unilever, can't have it both ways and that they'll lose some luster when people realize that the same corporation running these ads aims some products at the unpaid prostitute community. So what? Why would I care if there's cognitive dissonance? Unilever is giving me a resource to help my daughter love and respect herself. I don't begrudge Unilever's attempt to make a profit off of the skanks of this world.

In a way, this is a lovely example of fighting the system from within. Unilever is using profits from the sluts to try and guide them to greater self-respect. To me, that's positively brilliant. Pete has a more technical review of the campaign as well.

Some commenters over at Adverblog have missed the point entirely. One said, "they have crossed a line in having the nerve to Deign (sic) themselves as advisors to parents." That is dead wrong. Dove is reinforcing my morals and my love for my daughter. Abercrombie and Fitch have fought me tooth and nail. I will go out of my way to buy Dove products and I will never forgive or forget what Abercrombie have tried to do to my daughter's generation.

5 comments:

Justin said...

"Flirting is a howitzer. A WonderBra is a pop gun."

So true, so true.

Rose said...

I agree about Abercrombie - not just the images but the crap they put such high prices on. I told my daughter that if you gave me a day, and a bit of money for merchandising, I could go to the local Salvation Army, dress it up like that and she wouldn't be able to tell one ripped, wrinkled piece of crapo garment from another. Didn't go over very well at the time, but in the long run - it did. (note: the guy's stuff was the worst.) Her generation has been ripped off by the fashion industry.

Rose said...

Here's one for ya - shopping at Mervyn's last night - sweatshirt ofr 11 year old girl - blue one has a cartoon monkey on it with sassy comments "I don't want to you can't make me..." The monkey's name is apparently "Bobby Jack's" - my daughter says they are all the rage... pink one similar to the blue one - the black one has the monkey and a saying and an overall pattern using the monkey's initials - B.J. ...

Even making allowances for the fact that it may be a dumb mistake - am I overreacting? All I can think of is Monica...

Anonymous said...

As a 37 year old woman who's battled exercise addiction since I was in high school-I say BRAVO to Dove.
As Nicole Nordemann said in one of her songs:"Billboards lie all the time."
They do...don't they.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Yikes, can you give a warning before you post anything like that again? Sicko. So Dove is launching a campaign against the madness? About time somebody did! Let's show the sicko Unculture who's boss!