Sunday, November 11, 2007

I Just Joined Facebook

After being inundated with value propositions for social networking at BlogWorld last week, I finally joined Facebook, both as K T Cat and as me, the human. If any of you want to add me as a friend, I'd welcome it. You can contact me through the Facebook link on the lefthand sidebar. I'm interested to see where this leads.

The other near-term change I'm making is to consciously choose the blogs I read and the ones where I comment. It's an act of joining a community, not spraying out opinions randomly. I'll still leave comments in as many places as I can, but I will be trying to form connections in a few, select places. In the past, I just followed links from the Puppy Blender.

Lastly, I'd welcome suggestions for which IM group to join. I don't have an IM client or ID and would love to know which one is recommended.

Update: In blundering around with Facebook, I accidentally joined the San Diego network. As much as I love America's Finest City, I don't want to belong to this group. I've clicked around facebook, but I can't see how to leave a network. Argh!

12 comments:

Rose said...

Does a blog serve the same purpose as FaceBook - or is it (the blog) more impersonal?

I use gmail's Instant Messenger - easy, linked with Blogger, being on a Mac meant a few extra hoops but it's alot of fun, albeit time consuming. Is it GoogleChat? Shows up on my icon as iChat.

K T Cat said...

Rose, I'm not sure where Facebook leads. I don't really understand its value proposition yet. I already seem to be able to connect with the bloggers I like. I think Facebook has a larger audience than just bloggers and it allows you to search for people with a particular interest and join those groups.

K T Cat said...

Rose, thanks for the suggestion of the Google chat application. That certainly makes a lot of sense, since I already have a Google account and everything.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

All right People, Wollf is in the house, let's keep the "naughties" to a minimum....poor ol' KT' havin' to delete you, :).

My two cents? I'm (obviously) on google, and I didn't know what the heck that little bubble at the bottom meant until my eldest Telephoned me, and explained in "niiice" language that her Sire was a computer illiterate.

Now that I know, it's kinda cool. If you (for instance) want to send ol' Frank J a heads up, your tray tells you he's online.

Way quick to contact someone who's online.

Facebook? Sheesh. Ol' Wolfie only has half a face......heh

Good luck with it.
Wollf

Foxfier said...

*checks the time-stamp on Cat's post*

*checks the last reply from Cat on her blog*

*glee*

Rose said...

Facebook started as only college students, right? And now they are open to anyone? But it was the college alternative to MySpace...

K T Cat said...

howlls, those comments weren't deleted by me and they weren't abusive in any way. They were mistakenly written for Rose, but at this site. I certainly didn't mind a non-K T Cat conversation going on. Not in the least.

In any case, Kate, the author, deleted them.

Shouted at a dwindling figure running away from the blog: "Come back, Kate, come back! We still like you!"

:-)

Geeze, foxfier, you didn't think I liked your blog? What were you thinking? :-)

Now that you mention it, Rose, I'm sure you're right. If I recall correctly, they found the applications for business so compelling that they started marketing it to everyone.

Foxfier said...

Oh, it's just nice to know one is liked. *grin*

Rose said...

Kate?

K T Cat said...

Rose, the name she left on both of them was "Kate." Like I said, the comments were both very pleasant. I would have been fine with her leaving them up there for you. They weren't personal, but I think I'll respect her privacy and not post them or send them out.