Tuesday, May 20, 2008

1980s Music

My son, being 16, is in to bands like the Violent Femmes. Apparently, the Violent Femmes were around back in the 1980s. I remember hearing the name, but very little if any of the music. My boy always wonders why I haven't heard of bands like this that got their start way back when. He plays me some of their music and it's alright, but nothing like what was popular then.

As an instructive exercise, I had him watch this.


What would you have selected from that era?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Femmes were in the new wave stations.
Since your radio seemed stuck on KGB, and your (my) turntable - remember those - seemed condeemed to things like Precious Metal, AC/DC, etc, you probably missed them.

My boys are way into the old stuff, via Guitar Hero. I give them homework to listen to Rush and SRV. Josh wanted to go to the Rush concert, but it's Thursday night, and there is school Friday. Even if it's just Track and Field Day. Otherwise, I'd be there with him.

Over the weekend, we came up with a new car game. We came up with Radio Station playlists, with a theme. High singers, outer space songs, and highway songs are some of the lists we came up with.

Foxfier said...

I love the Country from this time, too--all the popular music seemed to have more FUN.

K T Cat said...

At the risk of showing what an old fogey I am, I must agree with you, foxfier. Modern music seems so self-absorbed and unromantic.

Dean said...

OK, Kids. For sheer cultural impact, I'm going with this and this

Foxfier said...

Wow, Mr. Springsteen looks human in that one....

Come to think of it, so does Mr. Jackson.