Saturday, May 24, 2008

Crazy Days at the 'Post

All kinds of wild things have been going on here at the posh editorial offices of The Scratching Post. We managed to sell our house, and none too soon. Take a quick gander through the writings over at Professor Piggington. The real estate market hasn't hit bottom yet.

While the house was up for sale, someone with access to the house managed to get in and steal both my still camera and my video camera. They rummaged through the drawers in my bathroom where one might keep jewelry and they tried to get away with my PC as well, but it looks like they were in too much of a hurry. My cameras were hidden, so they must have cased the joint during one of our open house days.

Both cameras were slated for replacement once I sold the house and the total loss was pretty small. I think what saved me from even greater problems was the fact that I don't own anything worth stealing. Poverty has its rewards.

To celebrate the sale of the house, I ditched Sprint. Yay! I got on my fiancee's Verizon plan and bought myself an enV. It seems to work well, even in those places where Sprint dropped calls. Which would be just about everywhere. Downstairs in my house, for example.

My missing camera explains the lack of catblogging lately. I still need to learn how to use my phone and the 2 megapixel camera that comes with it. Between having no camera and the stress of trying to get to an agreement with the buyers before I lost the chance to lease an outstanding house nearby, I've been a bit preoccupied.

More blogging to come. I've got a video camera all picked out, but if you've got a still camera to recommend, I'd love to hear about it. I'm looking for one that can take external lenses. My old one was nice, but it was limited to it's own optical zoom capability.

3 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

KT - I have an Olympus E-500 Digital SLR, two lenses (14-40 MM and 40-150 MM), 8 Mpixels.

A great camera. I highly recommend it.

Dean said...

KT, Very sorry to hear about the thefts.

Justin said...

I'm assuming you're looking for digital. I'd point you toward the Canon Rebel XT. It should be a lot cheaper than when I bought it now that the XTi is out, but it's a very, very capable camera.

You can get it in a kit with an EFS 18-55 mm lens (since digital frames are smaller it's comparable to 28-80 mm) on Amazon for $450. That lens will be good enough for your general photography. You probably don't need any other lenses.

I'd also recommend getting a CompactFlash card that's at least a gigabyte. And a decent quality gadget bag.

Email me if you got any questions.