Saturday, May 24, 2008

Why I Support Gay Marriage

I have to say I was really happy when I heard the California Supreme Court ruled that gays could get married. The law as it stood was not fair to gays. They wanted to be able to get married and be just like heteros and I'm all in favor of doing away with unfairness for it's own sake, fairness being defined as "Give me what I want because I want it."

Here are some other things I'm in favor of changing in the name of fairness:
  • Spicy food giving some people heartburn. I think we need to redefine "spicy" until it's something everyone can eat without side effects.

  • Sailing making some people seasick. We should redefine sailing until all boats are stable enough to allow everyone to enjoy them without barfing. If we need to leave them tied to the dock, that's fine with me.

  • Skipping rope being too difficult for some people. If you're fat or uncoordinated, skipping rope just isn't fair. We need to redefine it until everyone can skip rope.

  • Handicapped people not being able to compete in the 100 yard dash. We need to redefine our track and field terms until everyone can compete equally.


If you don't support things like this for Olympic track and field events then you're a bigot.
Our Cantor of Chemistry has more on this topic.

8 comments:

Justin said...

I sense a hint of sarcasm in this post.

There's a reason I haven't blogged about my stance on gay marriage.

Queers United said...

Fairness is when gay people have marriage equality and have access to the 1,800 benefits and rights provided to heterosexuals through state and federal law. It's not so much give me what I want as it is treat me as a human being.

http://www.queersunited.blogspot.com

K T Cat said...

QU, I'm so glad you wrote in! I am all about fairness. I think we should redefine "procreation" until gays can do that, too.

Foxfier said...

From nearly two years ago:
http://sailorette.blogspot.com/2006/12/please-dont-read-if-youre-not-willing.html

Apian Apostle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apian Apostle said...

I fell victim to the FILO Nature of blogs, and my own in attention to the post.

In case this seems out of context, I'm responding to the latest post that I responded to earlier but unfortunately I read the background to the earlier post later than i should have.

I love the sarcasm and should have recognized it from the start.

All I have to say in my defense is that the Washington world is rubbing off on me, and I now proclaim myself as confused as everyone else back here.

Sorry for doubting your true motivation, and I hope that you read this post after the response that I posted to the later post before I read the later post...

K T Cat said...

Don't worry Todd. You're our Apian Apostle. We expect these kinds of comments from you.

;-)

Rose said...

On the radio news today - "Bride" and "Groom" are officially being stripped from the new California marriage licenses. Instead, more gender-neutral
language will be chosen -- something like "Applicant A" and "Applicant B."

And this will all be done by June 16.