Friday, July 18, 2008

Adventures with Ubuntu

So I've decided to install Ubuntu Linux on one of my machines. At work, I was given a newer PC which was about ten times faster than my old one. I brought my old one home and am trying to turn it into a Lunux server so I can test out all the things I bloviate about at work.

On the advice of some friends, I decided to try Ubuntu. Going to their site, I downloaded both the server and the desktop versions. My connection turned out to be very fast, over 1MB per second on the download. From there, I followed the instructions and burned an installation CD for each.

Neither worked.

The server CD won't boot and the desktop CD has an error in one of the files. I'm blogging right now from the desktop version - it will boot off the CD, but it won't install onto the hard drive. All I've managed to do so far is wipe out everything that used to be on the hard drive. I'm guessing (read: hoping) that the problem was a write error when I burned the CD, so I'm doing it all over again, using my laptop to download and burn the new CD.

On the plus side, Ubuntu screens feature a cheerful orange color.

More later as events warrant.

Update: Making a new CD with the laptop worked. I've now got Ubuntu desktop installed. As I play with it, I'll post what I learn. I like the price in particular. It's free.

1 comment:

B-Daddy said...

Free software isn't. You know that KT, can't believe you said that.
Look forwarding to hearing how it works out regardless. Hope you have some fun.