Monday, July 28, 2008

Ubuntu Report Card - 1 Week

To be perfectly honest, I haven't spent much time playing with the thing. Having said that, I find the system relatively easy to use. I've installed Samba which allows you to use the computer as a Windows share drive and Apache which allows it to be a web server. Both were very quick and easy installs, once you figured out the whole Ubuntu layout. The permissions thing is just kicking my tail right now, though.

I am the only user on the system. I am the sysadmin. I still can't edit files. Every time I try to do anything, it either asks me for my password again or it refuses to let me do it. Argh!

I've got to work that one out before I go any farther.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Mac. :)

Anonymous said...

It's the password and permissions that keep that nice guy from Nigeria from adding those helpful little files that send your banking information to his e-mail.
LOL

K T Cat said...

Well, I deserved that one. I've finally discovered the sudo and gksudo commands. Now I get it.

A little bit, at least.