Sunday, December 07, 2008

Blogging from my Linux Machine

... and enjoying it. My Windows XP machine is on the decline (again) and it's being backed up to Mozy right now. (If you don't use Mozy, please look into it. It's fantastic.) The biggest thing that keeps me using the XP machine is Adobe Creative Suite. Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and Premiere Pro are too good to throw away. I can live a fulfilled life with OpenOffice instead of MS Office. Since almost everything I do is aimed at the Interweb Tubes, I don't really have much of a need for any of the other features on my XP machine, but Creative Suite is central to what I do.

Maybe staying with XP is kind of a security blanket. I know that I can find an application that does what I want that works on XP, no matter what that is.

I recently stumbled across LiVES, a Linux-based video editing package. It's free, of course. That might break me of my attachment to Adobe Premiere. I wonder what I can find to replace Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver ...

1 comment:

Justin said...

Or you could run something like VirtualBox and do Windows emulation. You'd have to buy a copy of Windows to run in it, but if the system's powerful enough it would work.