Thursday, December 18, 2008

On Stimulus Packages, Investments and Maintenance

Just a quick thought. Obama is talking about a monstrous stimulus package, on the order of $850B. Much of it, they say, will go to roads and bridges. Looking at my copy of Google Earth, I can't think of any place in the US that I want to go that I can't reach by car right now. That means the roads and bridges money is not an investment, it's a maintenance bill. There's no return on investment for maintenance, just an avoidance of future costs.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how the stimulus bill, as I've been reading about it, is going to generate a single dime of new, private profits. And without new, private profits, the thing is a loser.

2 comments:

Dean said...

You didn't get the memo? "Maintenance is Visionary"

K T Cat said...

Warning: your comment is being reviewed for racist content.