Friday, March 27, 2009

Growing Your Brain

... is possible. In the process of doing some research to help my daughter in school, I came across this cool article. My quick takeaways from it were that in order to grow your brain, you need to:
  • Get plenty of sleep. The brain grows during sleep, and it grows the most between the 6th and eigth hours of sleep. I don't do so well here.

  • Get aerobic exercise. Oxygen flow to the brain is important. I need to work on this, too.

  • Throughout life, continually take on new intellectual challenges. Your brain grows when forced to think. Finally, I get one right!
There's lots more at the link. Check it out if you get a chance.

It seems to me that watching TV is the converse of all of these points. Hmmm. Sounds like a lesson for someone small ...

2 comments:

Kelly the little black dog said...

Actually according to this your brain just softens.

Secular Apostate said...

Get plenty of sleep, eh?

I guess I can look forward to evolving into one of those large, pulsing brains under glass that the old sci-fi movies always showed.

I love retirement.

uncetaly: (un-say-TALLY, N) a thick, insoluble, gelatinous substance alleged to repel cetaceans, esp. blue whales