Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How to Fill Your Freezer

Every week we go shopping at Costco. I have some idea of a weekly menu in my mind and we have a big family, so we load up with food for the week. The meat won't keep all week in the fridge, so much of it goes into the freezer. On weekdays, on the way home from work, I realize that I haven't taken anything out of the freezer to thaw, so I stop at the local grocery store to get something to make that night.

Things go into the freezer, but never come out.

On a side note, I love to cook with "Best of Fryer" - a whole chicken, cut into pieces. None of the stores around me carry it any more, so I've been forced to learn how to quarter a whole chicken myself. It's not hard, it just takes some extra time. I even found a video on YouTube that shows you how to do it. I was explaining my freezer dilemma to my wife last night and, being a wise woman, she had an immediate solution to the problem. If I cut up my whole chickens when I got home from Costco before I put them in the freezer, they would be ready to cook and would thaw in cold water in less than an hour.

Duhhhh. I think I'll have another beer and watch some ESPN.

4 comments:

meemsnyc said...

We go to Costco too, it can definitely be a cost savings! But its hard to buy things in buik for us, since are are only a family of 2. But for big families, it is great!

meemsnyc said...

Oh and we love it when Costco has the sample ladies!

K T Cat said...

Free samples? Nom nom nom ...

:-)

Foxfier said...

Free samples= don't have to buy lunch. ^>^