Thursday, July 15, 2010

Turtles or Geese?

My last post showed a video of a congresscritter being confronted with his own words in a townhall meeting where a constituent played a YouTube video from his phone. The video shows the congresscreature making a promise that he later reneged on. Lots of bitter argument follows. Where does this lead? I would suggest two options.

1. Politicians turn into turtles. They do what they want, but they never face their constituents. Their public appearances are all scripted and filled with supporters and sycophants in the media. It looks like they're out there talking to the voters, but it's just a charade.

2. Politicians turn into geese and fly south for the winter (and other seasons, too). This is the way I hope things go. They get fed up with the screaming at the townhall meetings and decide that the nation is, indeed, ungovernable. When yelled at, they turn on their constituents and blame them for the problems, as they should. They give up on the whole notion that they can be mommy and daddy and Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy and provide everyone with everything for no cost. Instead, they cut the nanny state to shreds and tell the voters to pull up their pants and get to work.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

1 comment:

Dean said...

KT, while I was using "ungovernable" in a positive sense it seems you were using it in a somewhat perjorative sense.

I'll be the first to admit, it is indeed a fine line.

I am shaken by what has traspired so I feel the need to dig in and resist more than comply.