Friday, November 12, 2010

A Little More on the Diving Bell Camera

Background here.

I've got a Mason jar glued to a small weight and the foam packing cut. All I need to do now is go out and start filming. I'm hoping to do that today. Here's a little science background for the effort.

How much light can you expect at depth?

It depends on the color. At 2m (6'), you get about 80% of the blues and 20% of the reds.


What's all this nonsense about wavelengths?

Here's a handy graphic that shows the relationships.


The glass of the Mason jar will distort things. This sounds like a silly idea.

It is. Kodak, the maker of my wonderful Zi8 video camera also makes a Playsport that can go down to 10'. Want. Until I get one, however, the Mason jar will have to do.


Video tomorrow? I hope!

1 comment:

Kelly the little black dog said...

Now you need to post an image with the camera in the jar.