Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How Do People In Norway Get Anything Done?

Here in San Diego, it's February. I'm not sure what it is where you live, but in San Diego, it's February. In February, it gets dark early and it's freezing cold in the evening. Last night it was down into the 50s when I got home from work. Later, it got even colder. Where the authorities are stashing the bodies of the frozen dead is beyond me, but I'm sure there's been a wave of cold-related deaths. There has to have been with brutal weather like this!

When I get home from work, I don't feel like doing anything. It's cold and dark and I just want to plop down on the couch and not get up. The Catican Guards go unwalked and are growing fat and lazy*. Yesterday, during our brief period of sunlight and lukewarmth, I began to wonder what life must be like in horrible places like Norway where it's always dark and cold. How do they get anything done? They must spend 24 hours plopped on the couch!
A frozen town in Norway. Note how nothing's moving. I think they're all dead.
This is just one more reason to learn Portuguese and move to Brazil.

* - Actually, they're going mad from lack of exercise.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

please tell me you forgot to add the /sarc label at the end of the post.

K T Cat said...

No, I'm really thinking of learning Portuguese and at least visiting Brazil.

;-)

Kelly the little black dog said...

Norwegians drink a lot in the winter.

This has been a funny winter. On our trip out to SD for Christmas, the two warmest places were Tucson and Denver.

You don't need to learn Portuguese, just head east to Arizona for some warmth. Lots of beach, not so much on the ocean.

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

ROFL LMBO!

Yeah, and guess where your faithful reader is? Yours truly is sitting in Riga, Latvia at this very moment.

The Jedi Council thought it would be fun to send me to Latvia for three months, in the winter. bleh. The sun shined for a couple hours today. But yes, my inclination is to spend as much time in bed as possible. Unfortunately, my padawans don't see things that way.

K T Cat said...

Riga today: high of 37, low of 28. Sunrise around 8:00 AM, sunset around 5:20 PM. Horrible. Simply horrible.

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

That's nothing. A few weeks ago the highs were in the teens. This is warm by comparison.

Mostly Nothing said...

When I lived in SD, 50 was cold to me, so I understand where you people are coming from.
Now, my 15 year old doesn't wear his winter coat. Just a hoody or his basketball warm up.
This week at school, they were having service week. Tuesday they went out in the community doing work for underprivileged. The 15 year old was out shovelling snow for a church in a bad neighborhood in St Paul. Yesterday, they had a day of chapel and a little fun time, a snow obstacle course. Some of the boys were doing it shirtless.

Some Denver people were at work on Monday saying it was pretty cold. It was 27. That was about 30 degrees warmer than the high 2 weeks ago.
The cold is now past for us now. Still we can expect another couple feet of snow.

Surely the MG will come out soon. :-)

K T Cat said...

In all seriousness, I don't think it's the cold so much as the dark.

Anonymous said...

well, there's always the mirror project:

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Product/?pid=30978

K T Cat said...

"Rjukan is a town surrounded by mountains which prevent the sun from reaching the floor of the walley for five months of the year."

Dang. Get me out of there, now!

IlĂ­on said...

Goodness! If a temperature in the 50s is "freezing cold", you'd be advised to stay out of Ohio.