Saturday, April 12, 2014

Our Children Are In Good Hands

Highlights from my daughter's high school history class notes taken on Thursday of this week. The class is learning about the War of American Aggression, or "The Cold War."
  • The Soviets won the space race with Sputnik
  • The CIA made secret, high-altitude flights over Soviet territory
  • The Soviets knew about American spies
Comrade, do you know your history?
There's nothing in her notes about gulags, mass starvation, Soviet aggression, religious repression, the Eastern European uprisings in the 50s ...

Why would there be? This is Soviet American history, after all.

2 comments:

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

We have a bunch of Soviet spies teaching our schools. Brilliant.

And did you see the article about Jay Carney's "wall art"? http://theweek.com/article/index/259887/speedreads-obamas-press-secretary-decorates-home-with-soviet-propaganda

tim eisele said...

I'm actually surprised that they are covering the Cold War era at all. I don't remember my American History[1] classes ever getting much past the Civil War. They always seemed to start with Columbus, and end with Lincoln, and then the next year they'd start over with Columbus instead of taking up where the previous year left off.

[1] I suppose we must have had some classes in general world history, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about them. Most of what I know about history I learned the same way we were expected to learn about sex - pick it up in the gutter.