Saturday, December 10, 2016

Kipling On Laziness

Is it really laziness? You be the judge.
We went back to his study, a large square room lined with bookcases on two sides. There were his desk, his chair, an enormous wastebasket and his pens - the kind you dip in ink. At right angles to the fireplace was a small sofa. "I lie there," he said with a smile, "and wait for my daemon to tell me what to do."

"Daemon?"

He shrugged. "Intuition. Subconscious. Whatever you want to call it."

"Can you always hear him?"

"No," he said slowly. "Not always. But I learned long ago that it's best to wait until you do. When our daemon says nothing, he usually means no."
Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go lay on my couch.

H/T: Arthur Gordon. I highly recommend the book you'll find at that link.

No comments: