Friday, September 15, 2017

Changing Your Thought Patterns

... is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do and that includes trying to understand algebraic topology, something at which I failed.

I've always felt that if I put enough effort into it, I could have mastered topology. Changing my thought patterns to fight recurring sins, that's another thing altogether.

I blogged about this crusade a while back, complete with an idea for using Christian music to guide my thoughts. Sometimes that works, sometimes it gets overwhelmed. When my mind gets on one of the old tracks, the music is drowned out and the old ways come roaring back as if nothing had changed. Decades of habit dig pretty deep grooves in the brain.

Still, we're called to try, not to succeed. We are fallen, sinful creatures who are destined to keep sinning. All we can do is fight the good fight, no?

No comments: